Sunday, May 01, 2011

Voting, both a right AND a responsibility.

Today as I was reading through some blogs on the impending election, I wandered acoss one that reminded me why the push for people to "just vote!" is wrong.   This Blogger (whom I don't know, and this was my first visit to their site) said "I have always reflexively cringed whenever I hear blather about forcing our youth to vote.".

But I go a step further, and express how I cringe thinking about how many people out there will be voting based on propaganda!!  In watching and participating in some of the social media punditry (of which when I include myself I use the term loosely) on Twitter, my initial assessment has been confirmed.  I have maintained that the general population is swayed more by emotion than logic, which is why:
A. Attack ads are used
B. There has been a surge in NDP popularity.

I have always been a staunch proponent of "informed voting", which means I read party platforms and watch performances in the House of Commons.  I am by NO MEANS a political junkie like some others, but I feel it is all of our responsibilities to make sure we know where the parties stand before we make our decisions.  As I've said in previous posts, this was the first year I have ever even considered reading an NDP platform because this is the first time in history I have ever felt that they may have serious influence in the House (even in an opposition capacity).  Now I don't go into detailed critiques of the platforms, I look for things that stand out both good and bad. But at least I look at what the parties are offering, and base my decision on the plan I feel is best for the Country.

However the same cannot be said for the majority of Canadians, and this is where Democracy #hashtagfails, and this is especially true when it comes to pushing people to vote.

I think it can be generally applied that people don't like attack ads.  How can we make these ads irrelevant? It's simple, make Government a part of your day everyday. Watch CPAC, or read Hansard (however I recommend avoiding Question period, because that is a full hour of attack ads that doesn't really get anything done.)  Spend an hour looking through proposed and passed bills for the day instead of watching TV for that hour.  I mean what could it hurt to give an hour a day for your Country?

When their is an election, read the parties platforms.  Get informed, because voting is about more than just getting out and marking a ballot, and it's more than whether or not you like a candidate or a leader, it's about the future of OUR COUNTRY!!! 

Get serious, and GET INFORMED! And then go vote!

Conservative Platform.
Liberal Platform.
NDP platform.

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment